Thursday, April 26, 2007

Saman Najib

PRESS STATEMENT 26 APRIL 2007

LAWSUIT AGAINST NAJIB

This has been the dirtiest by-election in living memory.

At the same time, my credentials have been smeared and vilified by Barisan Nasional (BN) for the purpose of trying to win the by-election.

This shows utter desperation on part of the BN and the deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak.

If our deputy Prime Minister can stoop to such lows and is desperate enough to make false and malicious statements, I am very concerned for our beloved country, if this is the manner he conducts himself in his everyday dealings in government.

The idea of obtaining share options of Kumpulan Guthrie Bhd was first suggested to me by the late Tun Ismail Ali in 1994, and it was agreed by the chairman of Yayasan Pelaburan Bumiputera, then Prime Minister Dr. Mahathir Mohammad.

I acquired them at market price and it was a commercial transaction, not free or discounted shares as allocated by the Ministry of International Trade and Investment.

This matter remains in court and any further discussion should happen during the court proceedings.

At the same time, I refute the accusation that I was the reason for Bank Islam's losses.

As revealed and stated in Parliament reports, the losses stemmed from poor investment decisions and violations of Islamic banking conduct. There was no mention of my name in Parliament.

I have instructed my lawyers to prepare a lawsuit against Najib Razak and all others who have been making false and unfounded statements. It is my intention to be transparent and straightforward in all my dealings.

My record in the financial world speaks for itself and my credentials have been recognized internationally. I am a Member of the Unit Investment Fund of the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) for over ten years and Advisor to International Islamic Fund Management in Bahrain.

These malicious attacks are pathetic attempts by the deputy Prime Minister to divert criticisms of his own corruption scandals.

Voters in Ijok deserve to hear and debate my policies during the by-election, but instead I have been assaulted in terms of my character as well as physically by BN. I am proud that I have not done the same to my opponent.

Tan Sri Dato' Khalid Ibrahim
Candidate
Ijok by-election April 2007

No comments: